Good Food, Good Life, 365 – Roasted Spiced Avocado
Roasted Spiced Avocado
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon spice of choice, such as chili powder, ground cumin, oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 ripe, firm avocado
- olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a small baking sheet or pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix garlic powder, onion powder, spice of choice and crushed red pepper.
- Cut avocado in half, Remove pit. Carefully remove flesh, in one piece, from each half. Slice each half almost completely through, from narrow end to wide end.
- Use a metal spatula to transfer the sliced halves to the parchment paper. Fan the slices out.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with seasoning mixture. Add a sprinkle of black pepper and salt.
- Place in preheated oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Switch to broil and leave in for 2 minutes.
Use the roasted avocado as a side to grilled meats, top it with poached egg, add to a fresh green salad, or use it to top a burger.
Avocado is a superfood that multitasks with its abundance of vitamins and minerals to protect the heart, improve brain function, fight cancer and protect the skin from signs of aging.