Nationally Recognized Lifestyle Change Class Comes To Brainerd
Crow Wing Energized is helping combat diabetes in Crow Wing County with a free nationally recognized program for area residents.
The National Diabetes Prevention Program is a community-based, lifestyle change program that offers diabetes prevention education and support for people with pre-diabetes. Participants learn how to create a healthier lifestyle and prevent diabetes in a 22-session diabetes prevention program. Research funded by the National Institutes of Health found that the program has been shown to reduce the number of cases of type 2 diabetes by as much as 58 percent. The reduction was even greater at 71 percent among adults aged 60 years or older.
Currently 1 out 3 individuals have pre-diabetes, but 9 out of 10 times people don’t know it. Pre-diabetes involves blood sugar levels that are higher than normal, but not yet high enough to be diabetes. An individual with pre-diabetes can delay or prevent type 2 diabetes by making simple lifestyle changes. Diet and moderate exercise resulting in a 5-7% weight loss (usually about 10 -15 pounds) often work to bring blood sugar levels back down to a healthy range.
Groups will meet with a trained instructor to help participants lose weight, eat healthier and increase physical activity. There will be 16 sessions offered over 6 months, and 6 monthly follow-up sessions for the remainder of the year. Each session is one-hour long.
- Session 1 – Welcome and Getting Started
- Session 2 – Be a Fat and Calorie Detective
- Session 3 – Ways to Eat Less Fat and Fewer Calories
- Session 4 – Healthy Eating
- Session 5 – Move Those Muscles
- Session 6 – Being Active: A Way of Life
- Session 7 – Tip the Calorie Balance
- Session 8 – Take Charge of What’s Around You
- Session 9 – Problem Solving
- Session 10 – Four Keys to Healthy Eating Out
- Session 11 – Talk Back to Negative Thoughts
- Session 12 – The Slippery Slope of Lifestyle Change
- Session 13 – Jump Start Your Activity Plan
- Session 14 – Make Social Cues Work for You
- Session 15 – You Can Manage Stress
- Session 16 – Ways to Stay Motivated
PROGRAM MEETING DETAILS
WHERE: Brainerd Family YMCA
WHEN: Starting on Thursday, March 28, 2019, from 8:30 – 9:30 a.m.
TO REGISTER: http://crowwingenergized.org/events/
FEE: No Charge ($429.00 value).
This diabetes prevention program is offered at no cost as a community service by Crow Wing Energized. To register or learn more about the program, contact Kara Schaefer at (218) 454-5901.