Governor Dayton Authorizes State Disaster Assistance For Itasca County And Leech Lake Band Of Ojibwe
Governor Mark Dayton today issued a letter authorizing an estimated $22,950 in relief for Itasca County and an estimated $62,250 for the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe from the State Disaster Assistance Contingency Account. Both Itasca County and the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe experienced significant damage to public property caused by thunderstorms and high winds on July 5, 2016.
Itasca County and the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe reported a combined $113,000 in local damages, meeting the threshold of $99,000 to qualify for state disaster assistance. Under Minnesota law, the state will reimburse 75 percent of eligible costs for public infrastructure repairs and clean-up, with localities responsible for covering the remaining 25 percent. Neither met the criteria for federal assistance.