Good Food, Good Life, 365 – Beet and Carrot Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing
Beet and Carrot Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 large red beet, peeled
- 1 chubby garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons honey (preferably local)
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons sesame seeds, for serving
1. Trim, peel, and grate the carrots and beets. You can use a food processor with a grater attachment, if you have it. Ideally, you will have equal amounts of grated beets and carrots, about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of each. Toss them together in a glass bowl.
2. Assemble the dressing by whisking together the minced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, red pepper flakes, honey, salt, and pepper. Pour the dressing onto the vegetables and mix well. Allow to sit for at least a half hour so the flavors can develop.
3. At serving time, spoon the salad over some fresh greens. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Makes 2 or 3 servings.
Use a vegetable peeler to peel the beets. Wear plastic gloves to protect your hands from getting stained. Wear an apron or an old shirt!
If you’ve never eaten raw beets, this salad is a must-try.