Minnesota Reaches Online Voter Milestone
SAINT PAUL — Today, Secretary of State Steve Simon announced that — since its launch in September 2013 — more than 100,000 Minnesotans have taken advantage of the state’s online voter registration system. Over half of the online voter registrations processed, 51.7 percent, were new registrations and the remaining, 48.3 percent, were updates to existing registrations.
Additionally, in perhaps the clearest indication yet that Minnesotans are paying close attention to the 2016 election, nearly half of the total number of online voter registrations processed — 49,711 registrations — have taken place this year alone.
“The voter registration process in Minnesota is easier and more convenient than ever before, and that’s in large part because eligible Minnesotans can register to vote from the comfort of their own home by going online to mnvotes.org,” said Secretary Simon. “I’ve challenged the people of Minnesota and the thousands of nonprofits and businesses across the state to return Minnesota back to number one in voter turnout this November, and it’s clear Minnesotans are getting ready to make their voices heard.”
Eligible Minnesotans can register to vote at mnvotes.org. Minnesotans who are already registered to vote can confirm that their voter registration information is up to date at mnvotes.org, and should encourage their friends, family and co-workers to do the same. While Minnesota has more than 3.1 million registered voters, there are an additional 800,000 citizens who are eligible but have not yet registered to vote.
Minnesota was the 15th state to offer online voter registration.