Good Food, Good Life, 365 – Summer Cucumber and Avocado Salad
2 large cucumbers
2 ripe avocados
1/2 cup chopped mint
Juice of 1/2 lime
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lime juice
Pepper to taste
- Peel the cucumbers, cut them in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon. Cut cucumbers into 1/2-inch pieces and put in a colander. Generously sprinkle with salt and let sit in the sink for 30 minutes to drain. This will prevent your salad from getting watery. Quickly rinse and blot dry with paper towel.
- While cucumbers are draining, dice the avocados into 1/2-inch pieces and put into a salad bowl. Drizzle with juice of half a lime and toss gently.
- Wash and coarsely chop the mint.
- In a bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons lime juice to make dressing.
- Add drained cucumbers, mint and dressing to the avocados and gently combine. Add pepper to taste. Cover and let stand in refrigerator for about 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Makes 4 side servings.
For a new twist to the salad, add some crumbled feta cheese just before serving.
When I’m feeling the need for some spicy heat, I add minced jalapeno to the salad–definitely not for the faint-of-heart.