Good Food, Good Life, 365 – Saturday Morning Oat and Walnut Pancakes
Saturday Morning Oat and Walnut Pancakes
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup toasted and finely chopped walnuts
- 6 tablespoons quick cooking oats, ground into flour in blender to make ¼ cup oat flour
- 1⅓ cups plain almond milk or your favorite dairy or non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (non-GMO)
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
In a large bowl, sift the flours, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in the walnuts and ground oats. In a separate bowl, stir together the milk, oil and maple syrup. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour in the wet ingredients. Stir just until combined.
Lightly oil a skillet or griddle and place it on medium-high heat. Use about ¼ cup of batter for each pancake and cook on the first side until bubbles appear on the top , about 1 to 1½ minutes. Turn the pancakes and cook on the other side until golden brown, about 1 minute.
Serve right away or keep warm in a 250-degree oven. Serves 4, with 2 pancakes per serving.
Toast walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet in a preheated 350-degree oven for 5 to 8 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Immediately transfer to a plate to cool before chopping.
Make several batches of the dry ingredient mixture and store in freezer. This will give you a head-start when it’s time to make pancakes.