Good Food, Good Life, 365 – Lemony Green Beans with Almond Crumb Topping
Lemony Green Beans with Almond Crumb Topping
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Flaky sea salt
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- Lightly toast almonds in a skillet over medium heat. Once toasted, immediately transfer them to a plate to cool. Once cool, transfer to a food processor and grind to the consistency of breadcrumbs.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add almonds, breadcrumbs, garlic, and lemon zest and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant and golden. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Set aside.
- Place lemon juice in a small bowl and slowly whisk in the remaining olive oil. Set aside.
- Steam green beans for 5 minutes, or bring a pot of water to a boil and drop the green beans into the boiling water. Cook for 5 minutes. Drain green beans, return to the pot, and toss with the lemon juice and olive oil vinaigrette.
- To serve, arrange green beans on a platter. If there is a bit of vinaigrette remaining in the bottom of the pot, drizzle it over the green beans. Sprinkle almond and breadcrumb mixture on top. Makes 6 servings.
For 3 or 4 servings, use 12 ounces of green beans. Make the full amount of the lemon vinaigrette and the almond crumb mixture. You can store remaining crumb mixture in a sealed jar in the refrigerator or freezer. The lemon vinaigrette keeps well in a jar in the refrigerator. I like to drizzle it over a fresh green salad and add a little salt and pepper.
Make this green bean dish gluten-free by using gluten-free bread crumbs. Your vegan friends and family will also be happy with this dish!