Good Food, Good Life, 365 – Black Beans and Rice One-Dish Wonder
Black Beans and Rice One-Dish Wonder
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped, for serving (optional)
- Optional toppings: sour cream, avocado or guacamole, fresh tomatoes, shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Mix the vegetable broth, and salsa together in a medium pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- While the liquid is heating up, spread peppers and onion evenly across the bottom of an un-greased 9×13-inch pan or baking dish.
- Sprinkle the black beans over the veggies, then sprinkle the uncooked rice on top.
- Remove the vegetable broth and salsa mixture from the heat once it comes to a boil and pour evenly over the baking dish.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the middle rack of the preheated oven for 60 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add desired toppings.
Serves 4 to 6.
There are no substitutions for the brown rice. Using any other rice or grain would require a different amount of liquid and cooking time in order to cook to perfection. Refrigerate leftovers in a sealed container for up to one week, or in the freezer for up to one month.