Following Son’s Death, Family Speaks Out About Danger of Food Allergies
More than 200 people die each year due to food allergies, and now the family of a 16-year-old Bemidji boy who died from an allergic reaction to dairy in an order of pancakes is speaking out for the first time. Scott Johnson’s Father’s Day turned deadly due to a sever dairy allergy. On June 12th, Scott went out to eat at a restaurant in Bemidji with his mom and two sisters and ordered a plate of dairy-free pancakes. The family says the restaurant accidentally brought him regular buttermilk pancakes, and Scott died three days later. His family is sharing their pain to create awareness about severe food allergies and convince skeptics that food allergies are not only very real, but potentially lethal.